RENEWAL in LIGHT AND SHADOW
A National Exhibit
at Academy Art and Framing
September 1 – 30, 2021
We would like to invite all artists who reside in the US, and who create original fine art in soft (dry) pastel to submit their artwork to our juried Pikes Peak Pastel Society National Pastel Exhibition: Renewal in Light and Shadow. The exhibit begins on September 1, 2021 and ends on October 30, 2021. Academy Art & Frame in Colorado Springs, CO will host the exhibit. Our Juror for this show will be Jeannette Stutzman.
Dates to Remember:
Opening date for submitting work online: 2021
Closing date for submitting work: Tuesday, August 24, 2021
Notifications will be sent out: by Friday, August 27, 2021
Delivery of artwork: By Monday, August 30 10:00 am to 6:00 pm if hand delivered. Deliver to Academy Art & Frame, 7560 North Academy Blvd., Colorado Springs, CO, 80920
Hand delivery is preferred, however if you must ship then all paintings
must arrive by September 1, 2021. Ship to:
Academy Art & Frame
7560 North Academy Blvd.
Colorado Springs, CO, 80920
Attention: Cas Foste, Curator
All shipped entries must include a pre-paid return shipping label. Please pack work carefully and insure adequately.
All submitted entries must be securely labeled on the back (top) with: artist’s name, artwork title, price, phone, and size (including frame).
Artists’ Reception: Friday, September 17, 2021, 3-7 p.m;
a second reception will be held on Friday, October 15, 2021
Exhibition Opens: Wednesday, September 1, 2021
Exhibition Hours: Monday-Friday 10am-7pm; Saturday from 10 am-6 pm
Exhibition closes: Saturday, October 30
Pick up art work: Saturday, October 30, 10 am-6 pm There will be a $10/ day storage fee for artwork not picked up at this time.
Open to all artists who paint using soft pastel. (80% of the piece entered must be soft (dry) pastel; no oil pastels.)
The size of the painting is limited to 25 inches wide by 36 inches high (including frame). No nudes, giclée prints, or digital artwork; no works created under supervision (workshop or class) are eligible.
Artwork may have neutral mats; no colored mats allowed. Artwork displayed in any previous PPPS juried exhibitions is not eligible. All work must have been created in the last two years. Artwork must be original – no work copied from published work, copyrighted images or photos taken by anyone other than the artist without permission.
Artwork must be framed and ready to hang. All work that is accepted for display must meet the following criteria. Framed art must have wire to hang. Sawtooth hangers will not be accepted. Wire must be attached to hangers on the frame. Wire attached to banking board in frames will not be accepted. Eye screws are acceptable for small pieces with little weight. Two or four hold hangers with wire is the preferred method. Medium to large “D” rings are acceptable if the “hook” is in the middle. Smaller triangle “d” rings or triangle rings will not be accepted.
visit www.academyframesco.com Submission Guidelines for hanging requirements.
Selection is not guaranteed. The juror has the final decision and reserves the right to reject any piece. Artists may remove paintings and substitute another on September 30 from 10 am until 6 pm. Swapped paintings must be cleared by submitting a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org in advance. Swapped paintings will not be included in the judging for the show. Paintings that have been juried into the show must remain until at least September 30. Works juried into the show and not delivered for the exhibit will prohibit the artist’s entry in future PPPS sponsored exhibits for two years.
Entry fees are $35 for up to 3 paintings for PPPS members. Nonmembers will be charged $45 for up to 3 paintings.
All entries must be for sale. Payment will be made directly by the buyer to Academy Art & Frame. A 30% commission will be withheld for Academy Art & Frame and the artist will receive the remainder after the exhibit closes.
Entering Your Images
Entry for all artwork will be at OnlineJuriedShows.com. Entry form must be filled out in its entirety, including unframed dimensions (or size), framed dimensions (if not known, estimate it), medium, and price. List sizes up to the nearest half inch. Submitted images must not include matting or frame. Crop the photos to include only the artwork. Be sure your images are right side up.
For best results, make sure your image is 1920 pixels @72 dpi on the longest side. Images should be in JPEG format, sRGB color space. Help in photographing your work and properly sizing your images can be found at: www.OnlineJuriedShows.com/help.aspx. If you need help entering your images or are unable to, please email Help@OnlineJuriedShows.com or call 949-287-8645.
Photography Tip for Entering Online Shows
Photograph your pastels before signing them or framing them. Take the largest, sharpest photo you can, and then size to show specifications.
$500 in cash: Best of Show: $250; 1st Place: $150; 2nd Place: $100.
Two Honorable Mentions will receive ribbons.
We are very excited to have Jeannette Stutzman of Denver, Colorado and the Colorado Pastel Society as our juror. Jeannette is a Master Signature Member of the Colorado Pastel Society and an Associate Member of the Oil Painters of America. She has been painting since childhood and in Oils and Pastels since 2003.
My passion is to create. My journey as a painter is to use the energy I feel and transfer it though my painting medium. My view of the landscape in fleeting and peripheral glimpses is translated in broad patches of color and streaming light, scribbles of reflections, twigs and grasses and winking wildflowers. I’m in a constantly evolving process of learning to see more and differently and of the tactile joys of drawing and painting.”
Jeannette is represented by Mary Willians Fine Arts, Boulder CO. You can see more of her work at jeannettestutzman.com.
Pikes Peak Pastel Society reserves the right to use images of entries for publicity with credits to the artist.
Great care is taken to protect the artwork, but please note that the artist assumes the risk of loss or damage to the artwork while the artwork is in the custody of the Pikes Peak Pastel Society. The artist is responsible for making such insurance arrangements as the artist deems appropriate.
Artists Booths at the Reception
Any artist who enters the juried show may have a booth or table outside during either opening reception event (September 17 and October 15). Academy Art & Frame will have booths and food trucks during the event. Information for 3rd Friday Outdoor Receptions.
- Any artist wishing to set up a booth must contact Cas Foste at Academy Art and Frame as the booths are allocated on a first come, first served basis. Contact Cas at email@example.com or at 719.265.6694 to reserve a booth.
- The event runs from 3-7 p.m. on 3rd Friday’s
- Set up must be done by 3 p.m. or earlier. Parking lot will be blocked off in the morning to stop people from parking. Vendors are allowed to drive vehicles in to drop off supplies. Please do not come before noon unless you need 3 hours to set up.
- Please park in Michael’s parking lot to keep closer spaces open for patrons/customers.
- Displays must remain up until 7 p.m. (depending on weather and patrons).
- No rain check day. If it snows or rains the reception will still be held but without the outdoor booths
- Academy Art & Frame is operating the 3rd Friday Outdoor Receptions every month thru October.
- There are no booth fees. Academy is asking for a commission as follows: 10% if the artist transactions the sale, 30% if Academy transacts the sale through their Point-of-Sale operations. Academy does not attempt to track artist sales in the booths so the 10% is on the honor system. They use commissions to help run the event and for future advertising for similar events.
- Artists must provide their own tent/tables/easels etc.
- Artists are encouraged to this event with their email list and on their social media
- The event will be posted on Facebook, Academy Art and Frame website, Peak Radar, Independent and Colorado Springs community calendars, YouTube channel.
- Bathrooms are available inside.
- A food truck will also be at each event
Academy Art & Frame
10th ANNUAL JUDGED MINIATURES and SMALL WORKS ART SHOW 2021
Drop Off: Aug. 28th -31st
Reception: Sept. 17th 3-7pm
Pick Up: Sept. 30th 10-6pm
FEES: Hand Delivered Work $9.00 per item (limit 5 pieces)
ALL FEES ARE NON-REFUNDABLE.
Fee includes return packing, postage, and shipping insurance up to $100.00. All entries must be for sale.
A 30% commission will be charged on all sales.
Make checks or money orders payable to Academy Art & Frame Company.
MEDIA: Oil; Acrylic; Watercolor; Graphic; Pastel; Mixed Media; Sculpture (any 3D wood, metal, clay); Photography
DEFINITION: Miniature paintings and sculptures are fine art on a small scale, with minute attention to detail, which can withstand close inspection or enlargement. As a guideline (not a rule) for a general definition of small scale, a subject should be no larger than 1/6th actual size. A human head is about 9 inches so the painted head should be no larger than 1½”. Subjects too small for portrayal in 1/6th scale or nonrepresentational work such as abstracts or surrealism may meet the spirit of a miniature if the work meets the above definition of miniature art.
- All entries are subject to be judged. Decision of Judge is final.
- All entries must be original works.
- Image size for 2D works must NOT exceed 25 square inches/63.5 centimeters. (Examples: 5×5, 4×6, 1×25, 3×3, etc.)
- Sculpture/3D size must not exceed 125 cubic inches, excluding base and/or mountings. (Example: 5x5x5)
- All work must be ready for hanging with wire (or stand for 3d) and screw eyes or the like. Sawtooths ok.
- All entries must be of artists living, copy right belonging to the artist and we encourage All Ages.
- See www.academyframesco.com Submission Guidelines for hanging requirements.
Best of Show: Ribbon and Cash
1st Place (each category): Ribbon and Cash
2nd & 3rd Place (each category): Ribbon
Honorable Mention (each category): Ribbon
Academy Art & Frame Company Award AFC Award: Ribbon and Cash
LIABILITY: All entries will be handled with care. However, the management of the exhibit and Academy Art & Frame Company will not be responsible for any loss or damage unless otherwise stated in the consignment contract, and any insurance is the responsibility of the exhibiting artist.
RETURN OF WORKS: All works, other than the shipped works, must be picked up from 10:00am to 6pm September 30th, 2021.